⛱️ A Swift Senior Summer (#3)
Seth Goldin / July 01, 2022
3 min read
Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November. That 31st day must really make a difference, because it feels like June flew by.
The saying time flies definitely applies. It’s been a busy month filled with exciting innovation and enlightening conversation.
From wrapping up a few ongoing projects to spending time with friends, I’m hoping to make the most of what time remains before heading off for the next adventure. Like Phineas, I’ve found a good way to spend it.
- Botta has incorporated and merged with another edtech startup to become Friday, a tool for helping people become unblocked while learning. Our first goal is helping people studying computer science online through a conversational wiki-like experience.
- I released version 2.2.0 of GoldInAndOut, which added multi-folder run support and A* to the EM immunogold particle analysis software. I imagine this will be one of the final versions.
- I threw together a curated list of deals/discounts for anyone else attending Yale this fall.
- I finished writing the script for a new FreeCodeCamp course I’ve been working on - I’m excited to hopefully share that with you all soon.
(4 things I've been thinking about this month)
- Have Smartphones Changed Our Lives For The Better?: I consider the massive ramifications of the smartphone and if it has been a net-positive for society.
- Finding Your "Calling": I ask if there's anything you enjoy and could see yourself doing for the rest of your life - and contemplate if that will lead to personal fulfillment.
- On Opening Worlds – The Majesty of Exploration: I muse on why well-designed exploration makes for better open-world game experiences.
- The Centralization of Decentralization – Why Blockchain Isn’t Being Used To Truly Eliminate Platforms: Web3 has given rise to a new wave of dominant, centralized platforms - I posit this is because people prefer platforms.
(2 articles, 2 novels, 2 videos, 2 tv/movies)
- 🗞 The Confessions of Marcus Hutchins, the Hacker Who Saved the Internet
- 🗞 Learning to Play Minecraft with Video - PreTraining a Neural Net (VPT)
- 📗 "For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business" by Kevin Werbach & Dan Hunter
- 📘 "One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories" by B.J. Novak
- 📺 I read 156 Fantasy books and this is what I discovered
- 📺 Web3: A Libertarian Dystopia
- 🎬 "Severance" by Ben Stiller
- 🎬 "Everything, Everywhere, All at once" by Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
Thanks for reading :)
Feel free to share this newsletter with your friends, or subscribe!
Join my newsletter PrintInPublic
Get my blog posts right in your inbox, plus a peek at what I'm working on! I love sharing tech articles and videos a curious person may find fascinating.
🎉 - subscribers