🍁 Feelings of Fall (#7)
Seth Goldin / October 31, 2022
3 min read
Leaves of red and gold falling from the sky.
Staged apple-picking candids and pumpkin flavored everything.
A Jack-O-Lantern spelling out “Go Harvard.”
I’m transported by the autumn trees to another world - having never lived anywhere other than Florida, fall is amazing.
I’ve learned a couple of things this month about college. First, midterm “season” is essentially the entire semester after the first week. There’s always more exams to study for, more papers to write (and so it really makes no sense that they’re called “mid”terms). Secondly, Halloween is huge, and also possibly the one period a year when college guys are equally if not more creative with their outfits as girls.
Mid-October, I briefly returned home for fall break. It was incredibly nice to see my family (and especially my dogs) again. Yet I also felt somewhat like Harry, anxiously awaiting the next moment he could return to Hogwarts; with its gothic architecture and house system, Yale is about as close as it gets.
I’m enjoying autumn while it lasts - while fun, I know it’s also fleeting. I’ll make the most of club running as it grows ever-colder. Because I am a child of summer, and winter is coming…
- I’ve been working on the next iteration of Friday, which should hopefully be out in the next few weeks. We’re making it even more integrated into your existing educational workflows.
- I’m now helping to run the Yale Entrepreneurial Society’s incubator program for the fall semester.
- I’m also in the planning phase for a project that might help with obtaining needed items within the Yale community.
- My next FreeCodeCamp course is almost done! I just need to finish editing.
(3 things I've been thinking about this month)
- Forget Web3 — You Should Be Excited About NLP!: From essays to art, I discuss the exciting possibilites and challenges within the space of natural language processing.
- The Centralization of Decentralization – Why Blockchain Isn’t Being Used To Eliminate Platforms: I discuss why Web3 has given rise to new dominant, centralized platforms.
- AI Ethics and Westworld: the Contrast between Artificial and Authentic Life: Through HBO's Westworld, I discuss my thoughts on several topics within AI ethics including consciousness, moral status, free will, cloning, sex robots, and if any of it matters.
(2 articles, 2 novels, 2 videos, 2 tv/movies)
- 🗞 150 awesome NLP startups
- 🗞 Is Google making us stupid?
- 📗 "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft” by Stephen King
- 📘 “Fire and Blood” by George R. R. Martin
- 📺 Why every popular song from the last 30 years is the same
- 📺 Why all educational videos are the same
- 🎬 “The Nice Guys” by Shane Black
- 🎬 “The Northman” by Robert Eggers
Thanks for reading :)
Feel free to share this newsletter with your friends, or subscribe!
Join my newsletter PrintInPublic
Get my blog posts right in your inbox, plus a peek at what I'm working on! I love sharing tech articles and videos a curious person may find fascinating.
🎉 - subscribers